Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Baby U Update



I went to the doctor for my 38 week checkup yesterday and I am now 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. The doctor says she thinks I'll have the baby this week. Exciting, right? Well, everyone I've told seems to think so, which leads me to believe that they've forgotten the little trick my body played on me last time. With Ana, I walked around for 3 weeks, 3 WEEKS, at 3cm and 75% effaced and I still had to be induced. So you'll have to excuse my reluctance to get too excited. I have to admit though that I did feel the need to take a belly pic just in case I don't get another chance to.

The funny thing is that, unlike with Ana, I'm in no hurry to get this pregnancy over with. I am just as excited to meet Baby U but, believe it or not, I'm quite enjoying having her or him all to myself for now. There are a few things that I think have made this journey a little tougher than the last (i.e. the incessant contractions, back pain, gas (gasp!)) but there are just as many things that have made it a little bit more enjoyable. There are, of course, the superficial aspects like the shape of my belly (much cuter this time I think) and my ability to keep my weight gain well under the 50+ lbs. I gained with Ana. But the most enjoyable part of it? Knowing what I'm in for. Knowing what I'm about to get. With Ana I knew I was getting a baby - our baby - and that we would love her but I had no idea how much she would bring with her into this world, how much she would bring to us. This time I know. I know that I'm already in love with this little being in my belly. I know what this baby is going to do to Anthony and I can't wait to see that look on his face when he or she is born. I know what it will feel like to have this baby lay on my chest and what it will do to my heart to watch Anthony fall in love again. And above all, I know that this baby will be completing our family and making it whole. THAT is what has made this an experience I will forever love.

No comments: