Wednesday, May 23, 2007

In Her Shoes


It's official - Ana has inherited my love of shoes. Clue #1: We can't be in the shoe section of a store without her instantly kicking off her own, pointing at new ones, and declaring "I try!" Clue #2: Her need to say "bye-bye" to all the shoes in our path whenever we're leaving the house.

Know what? I couldn't be happier :). In fact, I'm oddly proud of it. Superficial? Maybe. Meaningless? Not at all. Since Ana was born I have daydreamt and often wondered what we will be like together when she gets older. I prefer to skip past the pre-teen and teen years where she will likely despise and blame me for everything and look beyond that. I wonder what we will be like when she becomes a grown woman. Will we have anything in common? Will she call me everyday and come visit me several times a week? Will she like me??? It sounds so trivial, I know. But I can't help but wonder. I hope and pray that I do a good enough job at being her mother that any damage I do along the way is forgivable. I hope I'm living my life in a way that she will be able to look up to and admire in any sense. But do I know what we'll be like together that far into the future? Nope. I can't possibly. What I do know now though is that, despite her Daddy's best efforts, no matter what we go through in our time together, my little girl and I will at least have one thing in common - our love of shoes. And, for whatever reason, that makes me very comfortably happy.

*This post is entered in May's Write-Away Contest over at Scribbit.  Here's to hoping we just may win!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could not have possibly put this in a better way. I think she'll always have a lot more in common with you than her love for shoes, she'll have a hint of your good taste, your love for life and happiness, and all of those 'lady' things she's learning just by being by you, by watching you and loving you, and that within itself, is her way to admire you.

Scribbit said...

It's so fun to see our children develop similar tastes and talents--thanks for entering!

Unknown said...

Way to influence Mom!

Daisy said...

I enjoy mother-daughter bonding while shoe shopping. I still remember helping her find just the right pair for prom -- three years ago!